Any vehicle collision leads to dire consequences such as physical injury, financial loss, and in worst cases, death. Such adverse effects mostly occur when a car collides with a dump truck. These trucks have multiple blind spots and complicated moving parts, thereby heightening the chances of deadly collisions. Unfortunately, untrained drivers are often behind the wheel, which increases the risks, even more.
Our compassionate trucking accident lawyers in Lake Charles, LA at the Law Offices of L. Clayton Burgess puts people first. The attorneys here have the experience, expertise, and knowledge to represent trucking accident victims and procure maximum compensation. In this post, we list down all the facts you need to know about dump trucking accidents:
What are Dump Trucks?
These are commercial trucks designed explicitly for hauling materials such as gravel, garbage, waste, concrete, and other items. Dump trucks are gigantic and weigh around 13,000 to 15,000 pounds. Dump trucks can both collide and lead to deadly collisions, or loaded material may spill on the road.
Factors About Dump Truck Crash
There are several features in a dump truck that increase the risk of a crash, some of these include:
- Weight: Dump trucks often carry tons of materials, making it hard to maneuver and stop. Unfortunately, when it starts moving, it can smash through cars and other barriers.
- Height: These trucks are higher off the ground compared to other passenger vehicles and trucks. There are instances when smaller cars slide underneath the truck, thereby leading to fatal accidents and injuries.
- Visibility: Large blind spots are one of the most challenging aspects of dump trucks. The issue of visibility often leads to pedestrian accidents, blind-spot crashes, and back-up accidents.
- Pile-ups: Dump trucks usually travel in a single-file line, thereby occupying more space on the roadway. This even increases the risks of pile-ups.
Common Causes of Dump Truck Accidents
There are innumerable factors that could lead to dump trucking accidents such as driver error, negligence, improper loading of materials, and poor vehicle maintenance. Here are some of the common causes of dump trucking accidents:
- Driver fatigue
- Poor vehicle maintenance
- Broken brakes
- Miscalculating the turns
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the U.S Department of Transportation regulate trucking safety conditions that could harm the public.
Accidents Caused Due to Spilled Dump
Apart from collisions, dump trucks can also lead to accidents due to the loads they carry. Some of the common load hazards include:
- Debris: The top of dumping trucks are usually open thus, debris flying from the vehicle may lead to damage of another car and also cause serious accidents.
- Side-openings: There are dump trucks which are usually open on the sides, and this increases the risk for vehicles driving next to them.
- Overloading: Overloaded dump trucks can open spontaneously while the truck is in motion. Tons of gravel and sand may hit the cars following behind and cause deadly accidents.
Reach Out to Competent Trucking Accident Attorneys
Determining liability in dump trucking accidents is often difficult without the assistance of an attorney. These collisions involve complicated legal issues, negligent parties, and coverage concerns. However, if you or someone you love has been involved in a dump trucking accident, you are entitled to receive compensation for all the losses and damage. The trucking accident lawyers in Lake Charles, LA have decades of experience in tackling complicated trucking accident cases. We work with a core team of clerks, assistants, and paralegals to ensure you obtain maximum compensation.
Reach out to us for a no-obligation consultation. Our lawyers are here to listen and fight for your rights. For further queries, call us (337) 214-8479 .